Charles Street and Route 6, White Mills Eugene Dorflinger was Christian Dorflinger's cousin. There was a nineteen-year difference in their ages. Eugene arrived in Greenpoint, Brooklyn in 1854 and followed Christian to White Mills in the 1860's. He and his wife Clotilde had ten children. Eugene operated the company's general store in the building illustrated here. He sold dry goods, groceries and cut glass. He also commanded the Dorflinger Guards, and later served as the Erie Railroad's White Mills agent. His son, Eugene, Jr., was the photographer for the company and for trade magazines. He used this building for his photography and developing. He was most proficient as an acid finisher, and this knowledge was of great importance to Dorflinger's acid etching department. Eugene's other son, John C., at the age of sixteen, started work at the factory sweeping floors and performing washroom duties. Later he worked in the cutting department, and eventually headed the department. In 1925, after the Dorflinger factory closed. John C. Dorflinger purchased all the remaining stock in the factory for $1100, and opened a museum/store in this building. Arthur Firmstone, who formerly worked for Dorflingers, cut the blanks for John in a room at the rear of the store. John died in 1964. He had devoted the last forty years of his life to keeping the Dorflinger name alive. Robert Heilman and Helen Barger kept the museum/store open from 1970 to 1976. John had introduced Helen to Dorflinger glass in 1943. She became an avid collector, and owned about a thousand pieces. John's vision of keeping the Dorflinger name alive continues at the Dorflinger Suydam Sanctuary.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.