- Donate Today!
- Online Gift Shop
Owego Turnpike, Canaan Township About four miles out of Waymart on the Owego Turnpike is a small wooden Catholic Church. The original church at that location was started in 1859 and "taken by a tornado." The present building was constructed in 1890. St Patrick's was a mission church of St. John's in Honesdale from 1859 until 1915 when St. Mary's, Waymart, was built. Mrs. Sarah Walsh holds the document of the gift of land from John Sheehan, and in a 1950 interview recalled, "The church was built by the congregation. Fr. McHugh had the walk put in. James Dunn and Patrick Scully took up a collection and got the gates, and Fr. J.V. Moyland got the organ with oyster suppers at Gilda's." The men of the parish built the pews, which are very small, very upright. and guaranteed to keep parishioners awake. Men of the parish also built the stone wall around the beautiful old churchyard. The church, of classic proportions, has a front gable, an enclosed front entry, with long, narrow stained glass windows on each side. The cupola is square with a spire and a cross. The old iron gates open to the flag-stone walk and the red front doors. Fr. John Albosta is pastor of St. Mary's, Waymart, and St. Patrick's. Mass is celebrated at St. Patrick's every Sunday at 8:00 a.m. throughout the year.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.