The Dan Beard Cabin: The cabin, built in 1926, was first used as camp headquarters for the Dan Beard Outdoor School for Boys. In 2009, Woodloch donated the cabin to the NEPA Council of the Boy Scouts of America. Funds were raised and the cabin was painstakingly disassembled, relocated and rebuilt on Goose Pond Boy Scout Reservation in Lake Township, Wayne County. It now serves the Boy Scout program in its restored glory.
The Tisdale Homestead: This homestead has buildings that were built in 1822 when the house was a stop along the Drover’s Road from Bethany to Stroudsburg. The homestead had stock pens, ox stalls, vinegar house, and cider press barn – many of the buildings are still standing today. The current family purchased the property in 1976 and had made several additions and upgrades to the house, staying true to the nature of the original parts of the house.
Peter Becker: Peter Becker is a lifelong resident of Wayne County and currently serves as Wayne County Historian. Over a long career in newspapers, Peter has written many articles about local history topics; he has published the book Winter Wonderland about Dick Smith, the lyricist of that famous song: and in 2023 he has authored two new books entitled The History of Hawley, Volumes I and II. Peter has been a Historic Preservation advocate for Wayne County for his entire adult life through his writing and research.
The Hawley Hub: This building was built in the late 1800s and is shown on the 1872 map of Hawley on 18th Street, now called Main Ave. The building has recently undergone “adaptive reuse” and now serves as a community hub, a dance studio, an apartment, a community library, and also a coffee shop. The interior of the building has some of its original structure preserved. At one time the building housed the Hawley location of The Murray Company, but now it is a gathering place for the community featuring a farmers’ market, student and adult classes.
The Holbert Homestead: This home was probably built by Decatur S. Holbert after 1866 when he returned from the Civil War and married. In 2015 the home was purchased by Louis and Frances Gruber and the exterior has been restored and the interior has been adapted into a four-unit AirBnB. The interior changes to the home were hidden in keeping with its historic character. The new features matched the old in design and replacements were substantiated by physical and pictorial evidence.
Gravity Plane No. 14. Built in the 1820s, Plane No. 14 was the second gravity plane out of Honesdale on the D&H Gravity Railroad and had the railroad’s last waterwheel. The engine house that contained a stationary steam engine that pulled the empty coal cars up the plane has been made visible by the current owners and has allowed the public to view this unique site. The historic resources on the property have been identified, documented, retained and are being preserved by the current owners.
Theodore J. "Ted" Keenan, for the exterior restortion and interior adaptive re-use of the Hoadleys one-room school, 7 Donovan Road, Honesdale, PA 18431.
Margaret "Mimi" Steffen (postumously), for her research of early education in Wayne County, her creation of one-room school teachers database and the six books she authored about early schools in several Wayne County townships.
Protection Engine Company #3, for the organization of the Honesdale Fire Museum and for the preservation of the Silsby Steam Fire Engine #483, 1205 Main Street, Honesdale, PA 18431.
Evan and Johanna Lothian, for the preservation of the historic character of the Milanville General Store.
Sarah Clauss, for the restoration of the 1866 Glass Worker’s House, 13 Stenger Street, White Mills
No awards were given due to the global Covid-19 pandemic
Linda Dix Lee and Dennis Favello for their book Orson, History of a Pennsylvania Village, 1840-2018
David Stark for the preservation of the Dunkelberg/Stark House, 888 Maple Avenue, Seelyville
Todd Stephens and Tim Kaltenecker for the adaptive reuse of the Galilee Methodist Church, 24 Church Road, Damascus
Bethany Borough and Bethany Historical Society for the restoration of the Bethany Band Shell, Bethany
Ferne Keesler author of the book Bethany, in the beginning…
Equinunk Historical Society for creating the Thomas Cleveland Museum of Vintage Machinery, 736 Duck Harbor Road, Equinunk, and for preserving the vintage equipment
Ronald and Sally Talaga for the restoration of Glass Worker House #7, White Mills
Juan Espino for acting as Chairperson of the WCHS Historic Preservation Committee for many years; for organizing the 2017 WCHS Centennial Symposium; for organizing the publication of the WCHS Centennial History book; for organizing two exhibitions of the paintings of Howard Becker, and his many other projects.
Tony and Donna Micheletti for the restoration of the Davall House, Lakewood
Bellemonte Silk Mill - Hawley Silk Mill, Hawley
D&H Canal Co. Office - Wayne County Historical Society, Honesdale
D&H Canal Co. Gravity Railroad Depot - Waymart Area Historical Society, Waymart
Dorflinger Factory Museum – White Mills
Fireproof - Bethany Borough Bldg., Library, Historical Society, Bethany
Gouldsboro Train Station - Gouldsboro Historical Society, Gouldsboro
Joel Hill Saw Mill, Equinunk
Lacawac Sanctuary and Biological Field Station, Lake Ariel
Old Stone Jail, Honesdale
The Inn at Starlight Lake, Starlight
Wayne County Courthouse, Honesdale
Kim Erickson for writing the book Honesdale, part of the Images of America Series; and for her work with Wayne County’s “Walk of Honor”; the WWII Veteran’s “Tour of Honor”; and her many other projects.
Sheila Weller for the care and preservation of the 1874 Judge Butler Hamlin House, 591 Easton Turnpike, Hamlin
Rudy and Francine Schemitz for the adaptive reuse of the former Chroma Tube Factory,
which they have transformed into the Sports Factory of NEPA, 8 Riverside Drive, White Mills
Vaughn Dailey for writing the book Edwin Mendenhall, Your Missionary to Wayne County
and for the preservation and restoration of 12 stained glass windows from Zion Protestant Episcopal Church, Sterling
Joshua Green and Eric Kawka for the restoration and adaptive re-use of the 1830’s building at 939 Main Street, Honesdale
Dr. Estela Rosa & Dr. Jorge Perez for restoration of the 1890’s Victorian-Style Michael J. McAndrew Building at
245 Prospect Street, Hawley
Damascus Township Historical Society for the restoration and adaptive re-use of the 1850’s Dr. Theron Appley’s Office Building, 174 High School Road, Damascus
The Hawley Public Library for the restoration of the Pennsylvania Coal Company Gravity Railroad Car, 103 Main Avenue, Hawley
Greene-Dreher Historical Society for the restoration of Peggy Bancroft Hall, 465 South Sterling Road, South Sterling
William Klaber for writing the book The Rebellion of Miss Lucy Ann Lobdell
James K. & Bette Asselstine for the restoration of Dorflinger Lower Factory Cutting Shop Building, White Mills
Sari Schwartz for the restoration and preserving the historic integrity of the The Inn at Starlight Lake, Starlight
Equinunk Historical Society for the addition to historic Calder House, Equinunk
Pennell Whitney for the rehabilitation & adaptive re-use of The Cooperage, 1013 Main Street, Honesdale
Monique Greenwood for the rehabilitation & adaptive re-use of The Mansion at Noble Lane, Bethany
John Shuman, Justin, Grant, & Jeanne Genzlinger for the adaptive re-use of the O’Conner Glass Factory to The Ledges, Hawley
Margaret Steffen for writing the book The Rural Schools of Wayne County
James K. & Bette Asselstine for the restoration of the Dorflinger Glass Factory Office Building, White Mills
Frances & Louis Gruber for the adaptive re-use & preserving the historic integrity of 214 9th Street, Honesdale
Patricia & Roger Hunt for the renovation of the Schnakenberg farm house and barn, Oregon Township
Jamel & Lydia Thomas for the restoration of the James Tighe House, 785 Hudson Street, Hawley
Jeanne Petta for her significant part in acquiring Jennie Brownscombe painting entitled,
The Great Convention for the Wayne County Historical Society
Sally Talaga for guest curating the University of Scranton’s exhibition, An Ideal Subject: The Art of Jennie Brownscombe
Hawley Silk Mill, LLC for the adaptive re-use of the Bellmonte Silk Factory’s Vault Building, Hawley
Leonard & Margery Schwartz for the restoration of the Wayne Hotel, Honesdale
Lars & Cynthia Hanson, for the adaptive re-use and revitalization of The Hanson Gallery and Decorium, Honesdale
Josh & Lorie Sheard, Sage Investments, Inc. for the adaptive re-use & revitalization of the Boyds Mills Store & Post Office, Milanville
Patricia Brownell Dudley & Suzanne Baker Dehmel for the book The Legacy of Coxton Lake, A Collective History
Edward Ahern & David Hernandez for the restoration of the Joseph Atkinson House, Hawley
Jeremiah & Therese Ahern for the restoration of 308 River Street, Hawley
Paul Ludick & Bill Anton for the adaptive reuse of 1019 Maude Alley, Main Street, Honesdale
Dr. Walter and Marilyn Barbe for the adaptive reuse of the D & H C. Co.’s Lock 33 Tender’s House, White Mills
Kathy Schloesser for the adaptive reuse of the Eliphalet Kellogg House, Bethany
Janet & Warren Heinly for the adaptive reuse of the James Manning House, Bethany
Hawley Silkmill LLC for beginning the preservation/adaptive reuse of the Bellemonte Silk Factory, Hawley
Michael Levin & Raul Vega for the restoration of 543 Hudson Street, Hawley
Alan Kehoe & Thomas Colbert for the preservation of 730 Hudson Street, Hawley
Regina Coyne for the adaptive reuse of the Woodbridge House, 144 Savitz Road, Hamlin
Linda Dix Lee for publishing the book The Way it Was...
Jerry Savoy & John Weiss for the restoration of 110 Miller Drive, Honesdale
Waymart Area Historical Society for the rehabilitation of the Delaware & Hudson Gravity Railroad Depot, Waymart
A.M. Skier Insurance & The Delaware Highlands Conservancy for the exterior restoration & adaptive re-use of 508 River Street, Hawley
Mary Grieve & Stephen Smith for exterior/ interior renovation of the Falls Port Inn, 330 Main Ave., Hawley
Linda & Mike Lazaro for restoration of Penny Lane Candied & Candles, 602 Church Street, Hawley
Nichols-Schwartz Publishing for exterior preservation & adaptive reuse of Indian Orchard Grange
Historian of Sterling Township for the exterior/interior preservation & adaptive reuse of the I.O.O.F Hall, Sterling
Mary & Michael Rivardo for the preservation & revitalization of Missing Pieces, 959 Main Street, Honesdale
Cynthia & Irvin Williams for renovations of 622 Church Street, Honesdale Morning Glory – The Cottage
Cindy & Terry Smith for preservation of the Edward O. Hamlin House, 1422 N. Main Street, Honesdale
Edward & Joyce Brooking for preservation of the Brooking Farm, Pleasant Mount
Drs. Estela Rosa & Jorge Perez for restoration of the Taft House, 538 Academy Street, Hawley
Dr. Walter and Marilyn Barbe for restoration of Dorflinger’s Glass Worker’s House #1
Donald Marsden for the adaptive reuse of the Stalker Church, Stalker
Lake Como United Methodist Church for restoration of the same, Lake Como
Himalayan Institute for the revitalization of 630 Main Street, Honesdale
Thomas Kennedy for his many efforts to raise the level of historic awareness in our community
Richard Kreitner for his efforts over the years to preserve Wayne County’s Old Stone Jail
Gordon Kinsinger for time donated to three WCHS’s annual auctions
St John’s R.C. Parish for the interior renovations of St. Mary Magdalen’s Parochial Residence, 414 Church Street, Honesdale
Donna & Dennis Corrigan for restoration of the Major Elisha Strong House, Starrucca
Sarah Corrigan & Michael Searls for restoration /renovation of the Haggerty House, 529 Hudson Street, Hawley
Christopher Hughes & Sheelah Kaye-Stepkin for adaptive re-use of the First National Bank of Hawley, 302 Main Ave., Hawley
William Amptman for preserving local history through his artwork
Shehawken Lake Association for their publication: The Cottage History of Lake Shehawken
Tom Colbert & Alan Kehoe for adaptive re-use of the D & H Canal Co. Office, 720 Hudson Street, Hawley
Attorney David Gregory for adaptive re-use of 307 Erie Street, Honesdale
Michael & Michele Borsdam for rehabilitation of the Berkemeir House, Rt. 652, Beach Lake
Dorflinger-Suydam Wildlife Sanctuary for restoration C. Dorflinger & Sons Worker’s Home, Charles Street, White Mills
Gouldsboro Area Foundation for restoration of the exterior of the Gouldsboro Train Station
Honesdale Borough for exterior restoration of Honesdale City Hall, 958 Main Street, Honesdale
Vincent Griffis for his significant contributions of knowledge, artifacts, and assistance to
WCHS’s exhibition entitled Ice Industry in the Wayne County Area
Mark Grandjean for organizing Boy Scout Troop 1’s exterior restoration of WCHS’s railroad snowplow
Douglas & Lisa LaPasta for restoration of the PA Coal Co. Paymaster’s House, Hawley
Mr. & Mrs. Robert Zabady for adaptive reuse of the Durland-Thompson & Co. Building, Main & Chapel St., Honesdale
Buckingham Township for adaptive reuse of the O & W Railroad Station, Starlight
Carol & Dick Barrett for adaptive reuse of the Tyler Hill Country Inn, Tyler Hill
Ed Wargo – Teacher, Evan Cole, Chris Doney, & Chris Toth for the building of the Bethel School Privy Replica
Berlin Township Community Center
G. H. Hovagimyan & Joyce Castleberry for restoration of Galilee Post Office & its adaptive reuse
Martha Franco, Lisa, & Rembert Meszler for revitalization of 1023 Main Street, Honesdale
Shehawken Lake Association for their 2000/2001 calendar
James Kundratic for Howetown Farm Show & other preservation efforts
Mary Curtis for her work in establishing Equinunk, Milanville, & Damascus National Historic Districts
Linus Myers for his research and rehanging of Wayne County lawyer’s portraits in the Court House
Elaine Herzog & Lynn Valashinas for exterior restoration of Miss Elly’s Antiques & Such, Hawley
Jan Gibbons & John Pavone for their adaptive reuse of the Mowat Farm to Stoney Creek Farm, Hawley
Donna & Dennis Corrigan for restoration of Charles Hoel House, Bethany
Juan Espino for revitalization of 229 Main Avenue, Hawley - The Looking Glass Art Gallery,
& his advocacy of local historic preservation through his art and deeds
St. Mary Magdalen R.C. Church for restoration of their Bell & Tower
Lacawac Sanctuary Foundation for restoration of their Deegan Tower Chimes
Mr. & Mrs. James Schell for restoration of the James Birdsall House, Seelyville
Shehawken Unites Methodist Church for interior restoration of their sanctuary
County of Wayne for restoration of the exterior of the Bethel School, Berlin Township
VAN GUARD Development Corp. for restoration of the Thomas Crossley House, Honesdale
Georgene & Joseph Kassakian for restoration of the Olver House (Beech Grove Road)
Wayne County Public Library for preservation of the William Foster House
Peggie & Jonathan Scharf for preservation of the Lake Como Inn
Harry & Carl Bowen for their life long work with stone
Zeke Boyle for restoration of David Wilmoth’s Birthplace, Bethany
County of Wayne for exterior restoration of the Samuel Dimmick Building, Honesdale
Debi & Tim Downs for restoration of the Varden Post Office and Store, Varden
John Frei for restoration of the D & H Canal Co. Lock House 22 and Locks, Kimbles
Howard Becker for his forty years of preserving the heritage of Wayne County through his art
Judith A. Hunt & Ed King for preserving the heritage of Wayne County through their art and preservation activities
Mr. & Mrs. Bayard DeNoie for revitalization of 1139 Main Street, Honesdale, The Main Street Beanery
Equinunk Historical Society for restoration of the Joel Hill Sawmill, Duck Harbor
Dr. & Mrs. John Ridd for restoration of Twin Oaks, Hawley
Dr. & Mrs. Warren Goldfeder for restoration of the Coe Durland House, Honesdale
Attorney & Mrs. Robert Bryant for preservation of the Judge Waller House, Honesdale
Dennis & Donna Corrigan for restoration of the Wilmot Mansion, Bethany
County of Wayne for exterior restoration of the Wayne County Court House, Honesdale
The Wayne County Historical Society may give recognition on an annual basis to individuals, organizations, or corporations who have demonstrated considerable effort and/or financial commitment toward the preservation of history in Wayne County. Awards may be awarded in the following categories:
1. Historic Preservation of Structures and Sites:
Preservation of a structure can include conservation, renovation, restoration, rehabilitation, or adaptive reuse. Awards will be given to those projects which follow the US Department of Interior’s Guidelines for Historic Preservation as closely as possible.
2. Historic Preservation of Objects:
Preservation of an object can include conservation or restoration of any man-made objects of historic value.
3. Historic Preservation Advocates:
Individuals or organizations who have been historic preservation advocates through their art, music, research, writing, or in another way.
Anyone can submit an Historic Preservation Award Nomination Form to a Trustee or staff person between November 1 and May 1.
The Trustee or staff person forward the nominations(s) to the Chair(s) of the Historical Preservation Committee and the Executive Director.
During the May meeting of the Historic Preservation Committee, all nominations are considered. If during that meeting sufficient information is presented for all members of the committee to cast a vote, the vote is taken. If the information is not sufficient or the member’s vote(s) are not known, the vote is delayed until this information is obtained.
The Chair(s) of the Historic Preservation Committee will present the year’s nominations at the July meeting of the Board of Trustees and they are voted on at the August meeting of the WCHS Board of Trustees.
Those nominations chosen to receive an award are notified of the award and invited to the Awards Ceremony which is held in October.
The news media and the WCHS Newsletter are used to publicize the awards and documentation is placed in the Research Library and on the WCHS website.
Revised by the WCHS Historic Preservation Committee on March 11, 2016 and adopted by the WCHS Board of Trustees on March 17, 2016. - J. Espino and K. Alogna, Co-Chairpersons