South Street. Waymart The dark-green railroad depot on South Street was built in 1900 by the Delaware & Hudson Railroad when the gravity station nearby was closed. The new station served as a refueling stop for steam locomotives and had both passenger and freight service. The twenty-two by seventy foot structure exists today just as it was one hundred years ago. The interior plank floors, wainscotting, benches, and ticket window are all original. A large water tower across the tracks from the station supplied water from an artesian well for the steam locomotives. Massive blocks of granite weighing several tons each form the base and first fourteen feet of the twelve-sided structure. A circular wooden water tower rested above the stones. The station closed in 1931 when the line from Honesdale to Carbondale was shut down. The track right-of-way and the buildings were purchased by William and Louise Headley and Clarence and Hattie Bodie in 1935. Ellis Collins later bought the old depot to use in his WAYCO contracting business. In 1950 Willard Varcoe purchased the property, covered the tracks with fill, planted trees and flowers, and used the stone base of the water tower as an office for his Varcoe Insurance Agency. This historic property is now owned by Willard's children, Jane and John Varcoe.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.