720 Hudson Street, Hawley In the early 1850s the Pennsylvania Coal Company Gravity Railroad from Port Griffith was completed. It was then necessary for the Delaware and Hudson Canal Co. to have a weigh lock in Hawley. The D&H building was constructed in 1854 as an office for the Canal Company Paymaster. The clapboard structure was later transferred to the Erie Railroad and sold in 1949 to Harold and Grace Finch. During the 1980s and 1990s there were several owners. Alan Kehoe and Thomas Colbert. who bought the property in 1997. have carefully restored the house and planted new gardens. Constructed on a steep hillside overlooking Lock 30 and the Weigh Lock, the office was surrounded by the Lockkeeper's house, the harness shop, and the mule barn. Old stone walls between the house and the canal bed are reminders of its original use. The house is a smaller version of the D & H Canal Co. Office in Honesdale that is now the home of the Wayne County Historical Society. Paneled doors lead into a center hallway with a dining room on the left. It is fourteen feet in width, length, and height; a beautifully proportioned space. The large living room is across the hall. The windows, oriented to the east, south and west, result in a house full of light. An enclosed porch across the back of the building overlooks the Lackawaxen River and Hawley. Gardens and hand-dug ponds enhance the scene. A former outbuilding is now a garden house. The building adjoining was once the Max A. Munzel Knitting Company factory and is now Tom Colbert's art studio. It glows with his bright canvases of local scenes. The canal and the railroad are gone, but the proud owners of this historic building have adapted it beautifully to the new century. Historic Preservation Award given in 2002 to Tom Colbert & Alan Kehoe for adaptive re-use of this property.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.