- Donate Today!
- Online Gift Shop
529 Hudson Street. Hawley In the 1850's Patrick Haggerty and his wife Margaret built the large Greek Revival house at 529 Hudson Street on land that was a gift of her father, Moses Killam. An article in The News Eagle. written about 1910 by Helen Cooke, identifies the builder as Hope Reynolds and relates that Reynolds liked to frame a house and then finish the roof before the siding. Workmen on the roof barely escaped with their lives when a strong gale sent the frame crashing to the ground. The rebuilding resulted in the beautiful house we see today. Levi Barker bought the house in 1863 and sold it to Dr. G. R Curtis in 1865. He was a physician and surgeon with a large and successful practice. By 1921 it was the property of Louise Durland Suydam, wife of William Ferris Suydam. After she sold the house in 1937 to the Luzenski family ii became a rooming house and tearoom. Robert Marks recalls his father saying that he boarded there when he first came to Hawley as a Presbyterian minister and that his mother fondly recalled the fine dinners that were served when she and Reverend Marks were courting. Mary Marks greatly admired the fine old house and in 1963, when she and her husband were again posted to the Hawley church, they became the proud owners. In 1999 it became the property of Sara Corrigan and her husband Michael Searls. The classic Greek Revival house has a full-height entry porch with four Doric columns. Wide bands of trim adorn the front-facing pediment of the gable, and rectangular panes surround the front entrance. The elongated windows of the first floor and two-story wings have very old glass. The second floor has five bedrooms and four baths. Beautifully sited on a wooded hill, this lovely house has looked down over Hawley for nearly 150 years and is a glowing testament to the skills and elegant style of the Pre-Civil War era. Historic Preservation Award given in 2003 to Sarah Corrigan & Michael Searls for restoration /renovation of this property.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.