The Baptist denomination has the honor of establishing the first church in Wayne County, dating back to June of 1796. However, the Honesdale church was first organized in 1833 by Rev. Henry Curtis, the pastor of the Bethany church, and services were first held in the "Old Tabernacle," the same building used by the Methodists and Presbyterians in their formative stages. In 1843 the site of the present building on Church and Twelfth Streets was purchased and the construction of a wooden edifice begun. The church was dedicated on July 30, 1845, and remains the oldest house of worship in the Borough of Honesdale.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.