Long Ridge Road, Texas Township This former farmhouse is located on the Long Ridge Road (once known as the Old Bethanv and Dingman Choice Turnpike). According to tax records it appears the house was built shortly after Thomas Simons purchased the property from Christian Maisel in 1894. Thomas Simons transferred ownership to Thomas Seaman in 1935. In 1956 Joe Stegner, local artist and architect, purchased the property from William H. Hicks. He did extensive restoration and installed running water inside the house. He sold the house to Maynard Walker, an art dealer from New York City. Since it is built to front and on top of a ledge, Maynard Walker's artistic vision enabled him to build a series of steps and landings to reach an addition he had constructed over the ledge. This is considered an outstanding architectural achievement. In 1972 Maynard Walker sold the property to Dan and Dorothy Merrill. He soon repurchased the house, but his failing health forced him to again sell it to the Mcrrills in 1976. They sold it to Harley Jones, who taught interior architecture at Pratt Institute. After Mr. Jones' death it was sold to attorney Gary Pernice, and then to Dr. and Mrs. Christopher Coccia. The architecture of the house is typical Pennsylvania farmhouse with wooden clapboard siding, stained brown. Double-hung windows are six over six. The house still retains its original wooden floors.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.