269 Belmont Street. Waymart One of Waymart's first settlers was Thomas Clark who had a tavern and store in Clarksville (Waymart was called Clarksville for a few years). He was also a commissioner for the Honesdale and Clarksville turnpike. The turnpike was organized April 2, 1830 and ran from Honesdale to the Milford and Owego Turnpike within two miles of Clarksville. The first recorded Wayne County deed for this property was dated January 6, 1848 and recorded in deed book 17. Thomas Clark conveyed the premises to Samuel E. Dimock and F. M. Crane. A stipulation in the deed going back to the 1800's excepts and reserves a 14-foot-wide alley and a walled burial ground behind the house, which once adjoined the Methodist Episcopal parsonage. Thomas Clark built this house in the early 1800s. One of the earliest schools. Phelps Institute with six students, held classes here. Early maps show the tracks of the D & H Gravity Railroad diverged on the way to the canal basin. They were laid diagonally across the inter-section of Belmont Street and Carbondale Road in front of the house. The property belonged to Melvin Kennedy from 1933 until 1965; when it was purchased by Herbert Jenkins. It has remained in the Jenkins family since then and has been used as the Jenkins Funeral Home. Through the years the house has been remodeled. It has a front gabled roof,and full-height entry porch with square porch support columns. The architecture is Greek Revival.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.