- Donate Today!
- Online Gift Shop
Charles Street, White Mills Christian Dorflinger bought a working farm in Texas Township in 1862 from Captain Aaron Flowers, intending to retire from the operation of his glass factories in Brooklyn. By 1865 he had purchased a large amount of land and had begun the construction of a new glass factory, outbuildings. and houses for workers. He brought glass workers from his native France as well as from Germany, England, Ireland, and Sweden to the small village. For the next half century Dorflinger Glass produced the very finest cut lead crystal. Among their many clients were the White House and European heads of state. The glassworker's house preserved by the Historic White Mills Project has the following sign: "GLASS WORKER'S HOUSE Dorflinger Glass Factory 1867 Seven sloped-roofed buildings, completed in early 1867, were the first houses built by Christian Dorflinger for the workers at his nearby Glass Factory. In less than two years thirty-three houses new built in White Mills for 182 employees and their families. This House. one of the original seven. was fifth in line. It has been restored to its 1875 condition when siding was placed over the board-and-batten walls and the back porch (summer kitchen) and part of the front porch were enclosed." The stove was moved inside during the winter. There were two chimneys. one for the summer kitchen and one for the living room. Also on the back porch was a wooden, zinc-lined tub, with a lid. The family bathed by turns from oldest to youngest; hence the expression "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water." The first floor had a kitchen, livingroom and a tiny bedroom. Narrow steps lead up to the loft under the sloping roof where the children slept. An outhouse, a well, and a garden were located in back of the house. The preservation of the glassworker's house is a valuable contribution to local history.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.