1407 North Main Street, Honesdale In 1886 John Torrey sold the land at 1407 North Main Street to Mary Hand Tracy, whose husband Miles L. Tracy died in 1884. Mrs. Tracy had this house built in 1887. The southeastern section of Honesdale was known as Tracyville after the Tracy family. Miles L. Tracy owned Liberty Hall in Honesdale (present-day Masonic Building), and was employed as a paymaster for the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company. He volunteered to captain Company C, 24th Pennsylvania Regiment, and on September 13, 1862 Governor Andrew Curtin ordered Miles L. Tracy and his unit to "march forward immediately." Fortunately the Confederate army retreated back to Virginia, and the Pennsylvania militia regiments disbanded and returned home. In 1917 Mr. and Mrs. Clarence L. Wright purchased this house from Mary Bentley, daughter of Mary Hand Tracy and executrix of her estate. Clarence L. Wright was associated with the Honesdale Dime Bank for sixty-two years. From 1948 until his death in 1968 he served as the bank's president. The Wrights raised five children. Mr. and Mrs. Wright and daughters Marjorie and Bertha maintained residency here until their deaths. Grandson David R. Wright purchased the house in 2006, the 89th year it was owned by his family. The architectural style is Queen Anne Victorian. It has an asymmetrical facade with cross-gable roof. An 1892 map shows the front and side porches extended from the front to the sides as one continuous porch. Throughout the years the interior has been kept much as it was when it was first built.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.