- Donate Today!
- Online Gift Shop
543 Hudson Street, Hawley James Dunlap and his second wife Martha purchased this property in 1873 from Solomon Lord who was the executor of the estate of Russell Lord, chief engineer of the D & H Canal Co. The 1874 tax assessment for Palmyra Township shows a house on the lot. According to "The History of Wayne, Pike and Monroe Counties" by Alfred Mathews, 1886, James Dunlap was born in Scotland in 1804 and came to the United States in 1821 via Canada. He was a stone-mason and worked on the Delaware & Hudson Canal and as a mason for the Pennsylvania Coal Company gravity railroad. His first wife Sarah (Rexian) died in 1862 and Martha died in 1881. In 1886 James was living with his daughter Mary and her husband James Millham and the following year, Sheriff Medland sold the property in a Sheriff's sale to E. C. Mumford. Mumford sold the property to Thomas Gallagher in 1892 and in 1894 Gallagher sold the property to James Tighe who later sold the property back to Gallagher. In 1911 Gallagher sold the property to Robert Rose. It remained in the hands of the Rose family until sold to Patricia and Gary Lamberton in 1972. Gary Lamberton sold the property to James and Gail Schell in 1989. The Schells sold the property in 1996 to Alfred and Katrina Alessi who sold the property in 2002 to Kristen Malak and Jonathan Connell and it was subsequently sold to Jose Raul Vega and Michael Levine in 2005.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.