- Donate Today!
- Online Gift Shop
Main Street. Honesdale Honesdale and Indian Orchard both received post office commissions in 1828. The first post office was housed in the Wayne County House with Charles Forbes as the first postmaster. It continued to move each time a new postmaster was commissioned. From 1838 to 1842 the post office was in the D & H Company's office, which is the site of the present Wayne County Historical Society. (The building that now houses the WCHS was built in 1860.) In 1842 the post office was moved across the street to the Tracy Building. In 1852 it moved to the Foster Building at Main and Tenth Streets. From 1853 until 1969 it was housed again in the Tracy Building. In February 1869 the Tracy Building was moved across the street from where the present post office is located. James Walsh purchased the Tracy Building, and in 1870 he moved it in two sections by seven pairs of oxen to 811 Court Street. In September 1873 the post office was moved to Ninth Street. In October 1912 it moved to the southern end of the first floor of Honesdale's Borough Hall. On April 1, 1935 ground was broken for the present brick post office. In December 1935 equipment was moved into the building and the dedication was held December 13, 1935. The land was purchased for $8,500 and the cost to build was $60,000. In 1937 seven murals, depicting local historical scenes relative to the early canal and railroad days, were ordered by the U.S. Treasury Department and painted by Walter H. Gardner. These murals remain in the post office today. The former postmaster William Gutmann recently discovered photos, which documented the painting of the murals. The Honesdale Honor Roll, listing all the local veterans who served in World War II, was on display next to the post office for a number of years after the war.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.