958 Main Street, Honesdale On February 1891 John Torrey sold the lot at 958 Main Street to the Honesdale Borough Council. The Council borrowed $15,000 to erect a brick borough public building, firehouse, fire bell, and furnishings for the council rooms Richard H. Brown was contracted as the builder on January 2, 1892. At that time he was the leading contractor in Honesdale. having built the Presbyterian Chapel, Wayne Bank, and other notable buildings, since demolished. The first borough meeting held in the new City Hall was on July 3, 1893. Originally there were brick and stone cupolas atop the building's two towers. These cupolas have long since been removed. Above the main entrance are a large arch and a balcony that runs between the two towers. Years ago local dignitaries used the balcony to make their public speeches. All the windows have round-topped arches incorporated into the brick. Changes have been made in the first floor rooms, and little of the original design remains. The south room of the second floor was restored in 2007 for use as the Council's chamber. Most of the staircases, banisters. as well as the wainscoting are original. The basement, which originally was the local lockup, has massive arches. Decorative wrought iron bars used on the cells have been preserved. The borough's fire alarm box system is in the building. It is a telegraph type box system manufactured by Gamewell, and rarely used today by other boroughs. For many years the building was also the home to the Protection Engine No. 3 Fire Company. Honesdale City Hall is a landmark building, not only because the builder made it to endure all these years, but also the character and charm is still there for all to see. Historic Preservation Award given in 2002 to the Honesdale Borough for exterior restoration of this property.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.