The organization of the church first began in 1812 through the work of a Congregational pastor, Rev. W. Wright. a missionary from Connecticut. The early members met in private dwellings, the original Bethany Court House and a log school house. Construction of a church building was begun in 1823 and the completed structure dedicated on December 27, 1836. The Bethany Presbyterian Church has the distinction of being the oldest church building in Wayne County. Its high steeple, which rises well above the small village, has twice been struck by lightning; its large bell, still rung by hand each Sunday, weighs over 2,000 pounds; and the clear, small-paned windows were originally blown in the old Bethany glass factory.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.