c1922 1500 N. Main Street, Honesdale In 1896, Walter M. Fowler (1875-1942), and his brother Edward established the Fowler Brothers, merchants of flour, feed and grain. This later became the Honesdale Milling Co. and is today, Honesale Feed Bin Co., Inc. After Edward's accidental death, Walter was the sole owner. In 1901 he married the girl not quite next door, Katherine Gaylord. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Gaylord, 1604 N. Main Street. They had no children. When Katherine died in 1935, Walter's three sisters, Marjorie Emma, Olive, and Florence Louise kept house for him. Walter died of a heart attack, five days after the flood of 1942 swept through his most prized possession. The water reached the level of the first floor wall sconces, but his well built house survived with little damage. The three sisters then lived there until the last one, Marjorie, died in 1979. Betty Blydenburgh and her mother, Barbara Sherwood, took care of Marjorie up until her death and then the house for a year and a half. It is interesting to note that this is the second house to stand on this property. The parsonage for the Presbyterian Church of Honesdale stood near the corner and was moved by rollers to 308 18th Street, prior to the building of this house. It was a gift from Walter Fowler to Charles Bussa, his salesman.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
W.R. Shaffer General Mercantile