• Home
  • About
    • About Us
    • Mission
    • Membership
    • Speakers
    • Contact
  • Exhibitions
    • Permanent Exhibits
    • Past Exhibits
    • New Exhibits 2021
  • History
    • Historic Sites
    • Historic Preservation Awards
    • Movin' Energy
    • D & H Canal Park at Lock 31
    • Historical Links
  • Museums
    • Main Museum
    • Bethel School
    • D & H Canal Park at Lock 31
    • Old Stone Jail
    • J.B. Park Farm Museum
    • Adam Jubinsky Building
  • Happenings
    • Calendar
    • News
    • Archive
  • Research
    • Research Library
    • Index Search
    • Vital Records
    • Historic Topics
    • Township Histories
    • Genealogy in Wayne County
  • Donate Today!
  • Online Gift Shop
  • Home
  • About
    • About Us
    • Mission
    • Membership
    • Speakers
    • Contact
  • Exhibitions
    • Permanent Exhibits
    • Past Exhibits
    • New Exhibits 2021
  • History
    • Historic Sites
    • Historic Preservation Awards
    • Movin' Energy
    • D & H Canal Park at Lock 31
    • Historical Links
  • Museums
    • Main Museum
    • Bethel School
    • D & H Canal Park at Lock 31
    • Old Stone Jail
    • J.B. Park Farm Museum
    • Adam Jubinsky Building
  • Happenings
    • Calendar
    • News
    • Archive
  • Research
    • Research Library
    • Index Search
    • Vital Records
    • Historic Topics
    • Township Histories
    • Genealogy in Wayne County
  • Donate Today!
  • Online Gift Shop

The First Pennsylvania State Armory

The First Pennsylvania State Armory105 East Park Street Honesdale In 1911 a red brick, fortress-type, Pennsylvania State Armory was built at East Park Street, Honesdale, in the shadow of Irving Cliff. Company E needed a permanent home, or it would have had to be disbanded. A local Armory Board, consisting of John D. Weston, M. E. Simons, Judge A. T. Searle, and Homer Greene, headed a fund drive and raised the necessary monies to have the Armory built. The contract was signed on August 17, 1910. The total cost was $23,000, and the State Armory Board gave the amount allowed by law. The architects were McCormick & French of Wilkes-Bane, and Woelkers & Beilman, the contractors. The dedication was held at the Armory on November 15, 1911. Pennsylvania Governor John K. Tener, who also was president of the State Armory Board, arrived in Honesdale on the D & H train, along with the other Board members. Hundreds of people lined the streets to greet the distinguished group. Col. Louis A. Watres. of Scranton, gave the acceptance speech, while Major General C. Bow Dougherty delivered the Armory to the custody of Company E. The building was the property of the State, but Honesdale remained its custodian. In November 1940 the young men of Wayne County were asked to go to the Armory and join the National Guard Company H, 109th Infantry. On January 14, 1941 about thirty of them were interviewed for the World War II draft. On February 28, 1941 Company H left for Fort Indiantown Gap, and the start of their wartime service. On November 18, 1986 the Wayne County YMCA, the present owners, purchased this property from The Town Council of the Borough of Honesdale.

From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.

This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.

 

 

Previous

The Dorflinger-Suydam House

Next

The First Presbyterian Church

Up

Navigation
#
D & H Canal Park at Lock 31
The D&H Canal Park at Lock 31 has 16 beautiful acres to explore. The site features the historic…
#
Historic Preservation Awards
The Wayne County Historical Society may give recognition on an annual basis to individuals,…
#
Historic Sites
About the Wayne County Historical Society
#
Historical Links
Historical Links
#
Movin' Energy
Movin' Energy: The History of the Delaware and Hudson Canal 1828-1898 exhibit is housed in the 1993…
News and Events
#
Towpath Guided Walk May 13, 2023
May 13, 2023, 10:00 AM
Come and learn about the history of Lock 31 and the D&H Canal at 10:00 a.m., on May 13, 2023.…
#
Canal Boat Pavilion Grand Opening Dinner Walk June 17, 2023
Jun 17, 2023, 6:00 AM
The event at D& H Canal Park at Lock 31 will be able to showcase the completed replica canal…
#
Wayne County’s canal boat replica to be named after Clinton Leet
Aug 19, 2023, 10:00 AM
The Wayne County Historical Society is planning its 10th annual Canal Festival for August 19, 2023.…

About us   

Welcome to the Wayne County Historical Society, home of the full-size replica of the Stourbridge Lion, the first locomotive to run on commercial track in the United States.

Our main museum and museum shop are housed in a building built in 1860 as headquarters of the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company....click here for more information.

  • Facebook
  • Instagram

News and Events

#
Calendar
Calendar of Events at Wayne County Historical Society
#
News
News the Wayne County Historical Society

Historic Sites

#
John S. Olver House
Cochecton Turnpike, Tyler Hill The house illustrated, located on the…
#
Pennsylvania Coal Company Paymaster's House
Hawley - Standing between Bingham Park in Hawley and the banks of the…

Research Library

#
Genealogy in Wayne County
Genealogical records WCHS Research Library at 810 Main Street, Honesdale…
#
Historic Topics
Research materials at the WCHS Research Library, your best source for the…

Copyright 2023. All Rights Reserved. Trademarks are of their respective owners.
Website Designed and Hosted by: SDM WPS Technology Services Company.

  • Home
  • About
  • Exhibitions
  • History
  • Museums
  • Happenings
  • Research
  • Donate Today!
  • Online Gift Shop