The Presbyterians were the pioneer church organizers in Honesdale. In February of 1829, Rev. Joel Campbell of the Bethany charge began holding meetings in the "Old Tabernacle," a log cabin structure located at the confluence of the Dyberry and Lackawaxen Rivers. One of the first members was Maurice Wurtz, the originator of the D & H Canal. The original Presbyterian Church was a wooden structure erected in 1837 at Church and Tenth Streets, the same location as the present edifice. In 1850, a Town Clock was set into the wooden steeple of this building and was later moved to the steeple of the new brick church completed in 1868. The origin of the clock remains a mystery; there is no name on the works or face, and no record of the person who brought it to Honesdale. The First Presbyterian Church was dedicated June 25, 1868 during the pastorate of Rev. Charles S. Dunning.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.