1423 East Street, Honesdale Glen Dyberry Cemetery was established in 1859 by the Honesdale Cemetery Association. In October of that year a bridge was built across the Dyberry River from Fifteenth Street to the cemetery and in 1864 the Tillou house at Fifteenth and East was purchased as a residence for the cemetery superintendent. The Wrought Iron Bridge Company installed a new bridge in 1885 for $590. When it was swept away in the flood of 1936 it was not replaced. J.S. Miller was superintendent of the cemetery from 1884 until his death in 1908. His son Robert filled the position until he died in 1944. Robert and Emma Miller bought the house in 1937 and in 1953 Emma sold it to Olney and Marjorie Smith. In 1985 Mildred Collins purchased the property and in 1994 it was bought by Michael and Mary Ricardo. The Tudor style house has a steeply pitched roof and the decorative half-timbering typical of the Tudor style. A side entrance on Fifteenth Street repeats the shallow arches of the front porch and leads to a room once used as the superintendent's office. The beautifully landscaped property reflects the quiet and gracious aura of its early history, when stone entrance posts and an iron bridge led to the park-like cemetery across the Dyberry.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.