Manchester Township The Manchester Township portion of Equinunk is known as Grocery Hill from the early days of the settlement when the main road and several general stores were located there. In 1875, Munson Sherwood purchased from Abram and Sarah &udder a one acre portion of the Equinink Manor on which was a "Store House, Barn Shed, Oil House and Water House". Two years later the property was purchased by John Bullock. Wellington Lester of the Equinunk Historical Society quotes a newspaper columnist of that era, "John Bullock's store carries everything that a human family could possibly need". Mr Lester remembers the store in the 1930's with its penny candy, small ice cream tables, hulk cookies, yard goods, wallpaper, and groceries. The property passed from John Bullock to his son Thomas and daughter Grace, and in 1927 to their niece Kathryn. She ran the store, lived in the first floor apartment, and rented the two apartments upstairs. In 1959 the store was sold to William and leneza Teeple and in 1967 to Orvis Teeple. Mr. Teeple ran the grocery store, put a water reservoir in the cellar, and the first hot-and-cold water system for the upstairs apartments. Orvis Teeple said that the heavy plank boards of the porch indicated it had been used as a loading platform for feed and grain. When Route 191 was put in on the other side of town the store was doomed. In 1973 the landmark building was sold to Robert and Kathleen Wood and then to John Penney and Dulcie Leimbach.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.