Lakewood In 1889, the Scranton Division of the New York. Ontario Western Railroad was constructed through Preston Township and continued to Hancock. New York. A year later, an O & W station was built at Winwood (later changed to Lakewood) to service the rail travelers on the first floor and house the agent's family on the second floor. It's style is typical of other O & W stations. Local freight paused here to service the SlwffiekH Farms and Dairymen's League creameries. When passenger service was discontinued in 1930 Lakewood was the only station open between Mayfield, PA and Cadosia. NY. From 1937 to 1955 E.B. Howe served as agent at both Lakewood and Pleasant Mount stations. Also during this period the Lakewood post office was housed in this building until a new post office was constructed across the street in 1961. It continued to be used as a freight office until the line was completely discontinued March 29, 1957. In 1968, Preston Township supervisors purchased the building and currently use a portion of the second floor for township meetings. The first floor has been the office of the local Justice of the Peace since 1976. Historic Preservation Award given in 2001 to Buckingham Township for adaptive reuse of this
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.