Bethany There is evidence that the Kellogg/Roosa house (on the left) began life as a log cabin to which Eliphalet Kellogg added and which his son-in-law Dr. Isaac Roosa later remodeled. Kellogg was a Revolutionary War veteran who had previously kept a tavern in the oldest house in the village known as the Drinker House. He was Register and Recorder of the County. The Sitgreave House (on the right) was deeded in 1805 to Samuel Sitgreave by the County Commissioners. He sold it to Mr. Dimmock in 1814 who later sold it to Kellogg. It became part of the marriage portion of his daughter Eunice when she married Isaac Roosa. The doctor remodeled it into an "apothecary" or physician's office. Roosa had a busy practice, and was the doctor who attended a victim of the cannon explosion that occurred at the 1827 trial run of the Stourbridge Lion. Both houses remained in the hands of Kellogg descendents until purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Pierpont Ladd of New York City, the Sitgreave in 1939 and the Kellogg/Roosa in 1950. After Mrs. Ladd's death both houses were purchased by Attorney and Mrs. Warren Schloesser.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.