1514 North Main Street, Honesdale The lot which is now 1514 North Main Street, like most of the lots in Honesdale north of the bridge, was part of the Schoonover Tract that was surveyed by Jason Torrey prior to the construction of the Delaware and Hudson Canal in 1828. Torrey received five percent of the Schoonover Tract, plus an additional forty acres in payment for his survey. In June of 1884 Edward Weston, an official with the Delaware and Hudson Canal, purchased the lot from Jason Torrey's sons, John and Stephen Torrey. Later that month Weston sold the lot back to Stephen Torrey. Stephen Torrey was a Presbyterian minister and engineer who drew up the plans for the Glen Dyberry Cemetery. In 1887 Stephen Torrey sold the lot to Joshua Brown, a merchant and later a clerk in Menner's Store in Honesdale. It is believed that the house was built in 1895 or 1896. Joshua's son Reuben inherited the property and sold it to Frank and Marie Sheard in 1945. In 1993 Thomas P. McGarrity purchased the property and in turn sold it to Dr. Sandra Propst-Proctor in 1995. The current owners David and Cathy Wolf purchased the property from Sandra Proctor in 2001. This lovely asymmetrical cross-gabled Queen Anne house features decorative gables and a one-story porch with gabled roof and turned balusters.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.