120 Welwood Avenue, Hawley Joseph Atkinson was an early settler and businessman involved in many enterprises. According to Mathews' history, prior to moving to Hawley he had a successful lumbering business near Lock 31 House on Route 6. Deed transactions involving Joseph Atkinson date back to 1815. The 1830 census records show there were ten children in the Atkinson household. Joseph Atkinson built the house about 1840. He owned both this property and the adjacent Eddy Hotel. His heirs sold the Eddy Hotel in 1869 to Frederick Meisinger, but this house was not part of that sale. The 1872 map of Wayne County shows the house at that time belonged to the Joseph Atkinson Estate. Francis and Kay Williams purchased the property from Alma L. Heiss in 1966. The present owner is David Brooking. The restoration of this American Colonial house was done during the period Mr. and Mrs. Williams owned the property. The house was in the 1942 flood, and four rooms located in the rear were completely lost in the floodwaters. The gable front of the house is incorporated in the two-story portico. The cornice on the roofline and portico is highlighted with decorative molding. An original domed brick oven still exists in the basement. The house has wide-plank flooring common for that period, and the focal points of the downstairs are a large entrance hall as well as three fireplaces. This is a mid-nineteenth century house, which was built by a Wayne County pioneer.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.