Methodism in Honesdale dates back to 1825, when the Reverend Sophoronius Stocking, a Methodist circuit preacher, came to the Borough and organized a church. This first congregation met in an old schoolhouse on the corner of High Street and Dyberry Place. Meetings were later held in the "Old Tabernacle" located at the confluence of the Lackawaxen and Dyberry Rivers. In 1834, Jason Torrey presented the Methodist society with a lot on lower Ridge Street, and a wooden structure (later converted into apartments) was erected that same year. The site for the present structure, located on the corner of Church and Eleventh Streets, was purchased in 1872, and the cornerstone was laid at a grand ceremony on the 4th of July that same year. The present Central United Methodist Church was dedicated on July 1, 1874.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.