- Donate Today!
- Online Gift Shop
Honesdale On January 26, 1854 an act to incorporate the Honesdale Cemetery Company was signed by twenty-nine incorporators including local prominent Delaware & Hudson Canal Co. officials. Shares of stock were sold at $100/share and a site was decided upon. In 1859 eighteen acres, more or less. were purchased from Mr. and Mrs. John Torrey for $2,000. Many people became interested in the venture and forty-nine lots were sold during the first sale. Stephen Torrey was appointed engineer and roads with the names of Winding Way, Willow, Hillside, and Central Avenue were laid out. A section was even set aside as public ground for use by those unable to purchase lots. A nearby superintendent's house was purchased soon after and in 1891 a mausoleum was constructed which would hold as many as ten bodies until interment was possible. Due to its proximity to the Dyberry River maintenance due to flooding was costly, up until the completion of the Jadwin Dam. As of 1947, approximately four thousand persons had been laid to rest in these beautiful grounds including members from prominent families of Torrey, Lord, Dimmick, Greene, Young, Searle, and Appley. A walk through the Glen Dyberry is like leafing through the pages of a local history book.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.