Bethany In 1814 Jason Torrey hired Amzi Fuller, of Connecticut, to teach in Bethany. A year later Mr. Fuller changed professions and became an attorney. It is believed Amzi Fuller had this house built. Construction discloses it was erected between 1820 and 1840, the main house and wing at different times. Mr. and Mrs. Alex Marcy purchased the property from Fuller in 1841. Eliza Henderson Otis, of Boston, bought it in 1852 and was the owner for thirty-one years. After numerous owners the house became the Methodist parsonage in 1930. Early photographs of Mrs. Otis at the house show additions which were removed when the church owned it. Also during this time clapboard siding was replaced with stucco. Mrs John Strongman and Mrs. Hortense Miller were the church's benefactors Hortense Mook purchased the property from the Methodist Trustees in 1977. Upon her death in 1983 the property and contents were given, according to her will, to the Wayne County Historical Society. In 1984 the Society sold the house to Gary and Dorothy Korpics, who did extensive interior restoration and brought back its original charm.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.