1307 Main Street, Honesdale Coe F. Durland was born on October 31. 1832 in Orange County, New York, and came to Honesdale in 1857. He recruited Co. M., 17th Pennsylvania Cavalry in 1862, and was commissioned a captain; soon he was promoted to lieutenant colonel. Honesdale's first shoe and boot factory. located on Main Street, was started in 1868 with Col. Coe Durland and Robert N. Torrey as the founders. In 1872 Andrew Thompson became a partner and the business name was changed to Durland, Thompson & Co. It was located in the 3-story building at the corner of Main and Chapel Streets. In 1895 the corporation changed hands and the business became known as the Durland-Weston Shoe Co., and employed 170 people and produced 720 pairs of shoes a day. In 1872 Col. Durland built this beautiful Queen Anne style house; the same year he purchased the land from the Torrey estate for one thousand dollars. The house received the Wayne County Historical Society's Historic Preservation Award in 1994, because it reflects Honesdale's growth and prosperity during the late nineteenth century. The home's beautiful entrance hall, oak wainscoting, and stained glass windows are all examples of the fine craftsmanship of that era. Historic Preservation Award given in 1994 to Dr. & Mrs. Warren Goldfeder for restoration of this property.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.