c1888 1422 N. Main Street, Honesdale Judith Edward Oscar Hamlin (1828-1895) originally from Bethany, the son of a judge, went to Hamilton College, N.Y. and studied law in Wilkes-Barre with Hon. George W. Woodward and then Earl Wheeler in Honesdale. After two years of practice he moved to Minnesota, where he seized professional and political success becoming a judge and the first elected mayor of the City of St. Cloud. He was a delegate to the Democratic national convention in 1864. His first wife, Mary, daughter of Judge Eldred of Bethany, and mother of his two sons, Frank and Warren, died in 1868. In 1873, at the age of 43, he returned to Wayne County, where he resumed his law practice, then married Ella Strong of Mn. Suffering from ill health, he retired in 1885 at the age of 57. He lived in this house from his 60th year to his death in 1895. His wife, Mary, survived him by 3 months and sold the home to Sigmund Katz. Sigmund Katz (1878-1950), was the son of W. Jonas Katz who immigrated to Honesdale from Germany in 1865 and founded the Katz Underwear Co. in 1898. Sigmund followed in his father's business, as did his son David. Sigmund was one of the founders of the Honesdale Chamber of Commerce which became the Wayne County Chamber of Commerce. He purchased the house as a bachelor in 1895, at the age of 17. He married Ettie Fuerth, daughter of a State representative. She was a milliner for 15 years in the Katz Department Store. They had one son, David (1920-1989). The David Katz Foundation was established after David's death, to benefit national and local charitable effort. Architectural style: Queen Anne, Victorian. Historic Preservation Award given in 2005 to Cindy & Terry Smith for their preservation of this property.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.