South Preston Road, Preston Township This farm has been in the Brooking family since 1900. At that time Samuel F. Brooking and his wife purchased the property from John Page. who bought it at a sheriff sale in 1897. In 1929 their son Edward S. Brooking took over the farm and continued operating it until 1967, when ownership of this 240-acre farm was transferred to Edward S. Brooking, Jr. and his wife Joyce. The Brookings have a hundred head of cattle and sell milk to Dairylea. The barn that was built in 1902 was enlarged in 1938 and 1964. When the Brooking children were home, the entire family shared the farm work. Today with the children gone, Mr. and Mrs. Brooking do all the work by themselves. In 1910 the present house replaced the original building. In 1975 the Brookings started on a house-remodeling plan that continued for the next fourteen years. The house is a lovely twelve-room, five-bedroom, farmhouse with a wrap-around porch. A focal point of the interior is the railing on their open stairway leading to the second floor. It was made in 1910 from chestnut trees cut off the farm, and the wood has been rubbed to expose the beautiful chestnut grain. The farm has a magnificent view, as well as beautiful landscaping around the house and property. The landscaping is Mrs. Brooking's labor of love. It is evident that this property deserved the Wayne County Historical Society's Historic Preservation Award, which it received in 2004. Historic Preservation Award given in 2004 to Edward & Joyce Brooking for preservation of this property.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.