Equinunk Calder House, the Greek Revival style headquarters of the Equinunk Historical Society's museum and shop, was constructed by Reverend Alexander Calder, itinerant Methodist minister, for his family home cira 1850 to replace an earlier home which burned. Even earlier a log cabin in the vicinity was home for the family. The property is part of Equinunk Manor deeded by John and William Penn to Samuel Preston in 1812. The exterior of the house is largely original, with the addition of a summer kitchen added as an ell sometime later. The Calder family accommodated raftsmen from the nearby Delaware River as overnight guests. In 1889 the home was made into a two family house under the ownership of H.N Farley. From 1919 until 1941 it was a boarding house operated by W. Fart Lord, and then a barber shop and beauty parlor on the first floor. Acquired by the Equinunk Historical Society in 1983 from Christine Hessberger, the rooms now house permanent exhibits on local history and theme exhibits developed annually. An extensive research library on local history including genealogy is also housed in this building The historical society's long term restoration and rehabilitation of the building is well under way. The building's roof has been refurbished with an authentic standing seam sheet roof in addition to rehabilitation of the windows, and interior renovations.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.