Watts Hill Road, Honesdale In 1839, David Bunnell. a blacksmith and farmer in Bethany. sold his Bethany property and with his sons Henry, Pike and John K., bought 750 acres in Dyberry and Texas Townships from John Leonard. That first summer David Bunnell resided on the improved part of the wild tract in Dyberry Township. His son, Pike, (Zebulon Montgomery Pike Bunnell). married Clarinda Bonham that same year and in 1849 bought that part of the property. After Pike's death in 1856 their son Oscar ran the farm. Pike's father and brothers developed Bunnell's Pond with a sawmill and tannery. In 1910, Clarinda Bunnell sold the property to Cora Belle Wright and her husband Samuel. In 1946. they sold 208 acres to David and Everett Stephen, copartners of Stephens Brothers, with the Wrights retaining the right to remain in the house "as long as they both shall live." Everett and Alyce Stephens lived there and sold the house to Michael N. Malone, Jr. and his wife Sheri in 1986. Attorney Cal Leventhal and his wife Doris then owned this historic property. The Early Classic Revival house was probably built in the 1840s. It has a full height entry porch with a Palladian window in the triangular gable. The second story porch has a simple balustrade. An unusual three-foot addition has a gambrel roof on one end of the house, and a former latticed patio has been enclosed. Double wood paneled doors with original sidelights lead into the spacious entry hall. There are plastered and paneled fireplaces in both the living and dining rooms. The low ceilings with old painted beams over white plaster define the age of this beautifully preserved house. One looks out at ponds, woods and distant hills, seeing the landscape much as Pike and Clarinda did so many years ago.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.