307 Fourteenth Street, Honesdale The 1872 Wayne County maps show this property belonged to Charles M. Salmon. He was part owner of a store in Honesdale. It was known as "Salmon and Delezenne" and sold "stoves. tin, copper, sheet iron, glassware, matches, etc., as well as plumbing." During this period Honesdale's northern residential area was sparsely populated, and according to the map there were only two houses located in the Fourteenth Street block: they belonged to C. M. Salmon and C. F. Eldred. Charles M. Salmon sold this house to Edmund Hardenbergh in 1875. and it remained in the Hardenbergh family for about eighty years. Dr. George W. and Cinda Tietjen are the present owners. Edmund Hardenbergh was born in Wayne County in 1846. At seventeen he worked as a brakeman on the Erie Railroad. Soon he was promoted to "baggage master," and then conductor. Later he became the Division's Superintendent for the Delaware and Hudson Company. His wife was the former Susan Kimble Pellett from Paupack. (The Kimbles and the Pellets were among the earliest Wayne County settlers.) Edmund Hardenbergh was elected to the State Legislature for Wayne County in 1885 and 1887. In 1894 he was the unanimous choice of the district and was elected to the Senate by a majority of the votes. This Victorian house features a wrap-around porch, ornamental gables and full-length double-hung windows on the first level. The number and placement of the windows make the interior extremely light and airy. A prominent feature of the house are the decorative columns that grace the living-room entrance.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.