Tyler Hill, Damascus Township This property was first recorded in Wayne County in Deed Book 3. dated November 6, 1837, when William Doughty purchased it from Stewart Brown for $9,300. Mr. Doughty sold it to Israel Tyler. who sold it to Tunis Wilsey in 1850. The 1872 map of Wayne County shows a house located on the property. It is believed to be the house pictured above. The farm remained in the Wilsey and Alfast families for almost one hundred years. In 1970 Walter and Eloise Alfast Plain sold it to Fred Frankel Association, who sold it to Farmstead Village in 1977. Richard and Carol Lynn Barrett purchased the property in 2000, and it became known as the Tyler Hill Farm Country Inn. The Barrens sold the business to Steve Nonnemacher and Sharyce Persson in 2002. This Victorian-style house at the Tyler Hill Farm Country Inn has been converted to a downstairs restaurant: and the second and third floors have become living quarters for the innkeepers. The three-story frame house features a wrap-around porch. The focal point of the entrance hall is a maple staircase. The downstairs rooms have tin ceilings, which were popular in houses of that era. One downstairs fireplace has the original tigerwood mantel. Papers found in the house document the parlor pocket doors as being Lane doors from the 1890s. The property that for years served as a home to the Wilsey and Alfast families has made a graceful transition to a country inn. Historic Preservation Award given in 2001 to Carol & Dick Barrett for adaptive reuse of this building.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.