109 Charles Street, White Mills The large Queen Anne house at 109 Charles Street was built in 1903 as a wedding gift for Christian Dorflinger's youngest son Charles. He had married Cornelia Decker of White Mills in the ballroom of the St. Charles Hotel in 1901. Charles was the general manager of the C. Dorflinger and Sons glass factory. He and Cornelia spent the next thirty-six years in the house. Charles often interviewed prospective employees in the spacious central hall and from the rear windows was able to overlook both the garden and the factory. Joseph McCaffrey and his wife Pauline bought the property in 1950. In 1985 it was sold to Gerald and Gina Williams, and in 1989 to Richard and Marjory Kline. The Klines did an extensive and thoughtful renovation of both the house and gardens. Ornate parquetry floors, Italian tile fireplace surrounds, and stained glass windows embellish the spacious house. The carriage house at the back of the property is believed to be older than the house and had apartments for household help. A portion of the original Dorflinger wrought iron fence now surrounds the Torrey building at the Wayne County Historical Society in Honesdale.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.