Lebanon Township The building pictured was built to be a farmhouse in 1860. Through the years additions were made. and today it is used as a dormitory by Camp Towanda. In I885 Theron Latourette and his wife purchased forty-six acres on this property from Ed Jones. They also acquired an adjoining sixty-six-acre farm from Ed Avery in 1914. Norma Pritchard, a granddaughter of the Latourettes, remembered visiting her grand-parents' farm with its vast fruit orchard, mostly peach trees. This building was the family homestead and it housed farmhands who were hired to work in the orchards. In 1923 the Latourettes sold the farm, along with nearby Niles Pond, to Saul Bloomgarden who founded Camp Towanda, a boys' summer camp. It became co-ed in 1942. The fourth and present owners/directors of Camp Towanda are Stitch and Stephanie Reiter. The central part of this building, which was the farmhouse, features a centered front gable with patterned wood shingles and spindlework porch detailing. The basement is typical of those found in early farmhouses- a laid-up fieldstone foundation, dirt floor, and rough log beams (the bark still remains on the beams). Original plank flooring exists in the upstairs rooms. The old doorbell and doorknobs remain intact, denoting the time past when this was a family's home.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.