Salem Township The Lacawac property was a part of the 20,000 acre tract known as Wallenpaupack Manor and sold by the heirs of William Penn in 1849 to Burton Morss. Mr. Morss had a large lumbering and tannery operation. In 1895 a portion of his holdings was sold to William Connell, a Scranton coal baron and United States Congressman. In 1903 he built an extensive summer estate on the land. The Lodge was built in the style of the great Adirondack lodges of that era. It set a new standard of style and comfort in our rural area with central heat, indoor plumbing, and gas lighting and refrigeration. Following Mr Connell's death in 1909 the property was bought by Colonel Louis Watres, lawyer, State Senator, and Lt. Governor of Pennsylvania. He recognized the potential of the Wallenpaupack Creek and was involved in land acquisition and early plans for the dam and power plant now owned by Pennsylvania Power and Light Company. After World War II the Colonel's grandson L. Arthur Watres and his mother Isabel E. Watres made Lacawac their permanent home. In 1966 they established the Lacawac Sanctuary Foundation, a 500 acre wildlife sanctuary. biological field station, and an educational and cultural center. The Sanctuary is a registered National Natural Landmark and a National Historic Site The Lodge has been restored to its original beauty and is used as a residence for scientists. naturalists, and students when they are doing field work at the Sanctuary.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.