c1891 1604 N. Main Street, Honesdale William A. Gaylord (1843- ) was born in Clinton Township, Wayne County, attended Bucknell University, Lewisburg, Pa. and Lowell's Business College, Binghamton, N.Y. After serving in the army the last year of the Civil War, he managed a creamery in Aldenville. In 1881 he was elected Secretary of the Honesdale Board of Health, Trustee of the Baptist Church and one of the three original owners of the Honesdale Shoe Co., a building which still stands on the comer of 13th and East Streets. He and his wife, Augusta, had two children, Katherine and Albert. Katherine married Walter M. Fowler, and the couple lived their later years together at 1500 N. Main Street. The Gaylord house was sold in 1924 to Frederick and Elizabeth Bell of Broome County, N.Y. and two years later to Philip and Margaret Murray. Mr. Murray was one of the owners of Murray Co. of Honesdale. Their son, Philip and wife Marion, lived in the house after his father's death. Architectural style: Victorian, Queen Anne.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.