- Donate Today!
- Online Gift Shop
Route 371. Tyler Hill Dick and Carol Barrett. owners of the Tyler Hill Farm Country Inn on Route 371 in Tyler Hill, received Wayne County Historical Society's 2001 Historic Preservation Award for adaptive reuse. The barn, which was probably built in the early nineteenth century, is part of the working farm. It is used as an inn with six guestrooms and a gift shop emphasizing antiques, kitchenware. and local art. The original stanchions remain part of the decor. The farm consists of an old cider mill, a horse barn, pond, and a two-story house that has been converted to a guesthouse and restaurant. The structure of the barn is typical of those built on many early Wayne County dairy farms. The Barretts have painted it barn red, resulting in a spectacular country scene. Damascus Township was one of the first areas settled in Wayne County, and this property was one of the first recorded in the Wayne County Recorder of Deeds Office. William Doughty of Washington, D.C. purchased the property from Stewart Brown of New York City, recorded in deed book 3. dated November 6. 1837. In 1850 William Doughty. Jr. sold 4 acres and 113 perches to Israel Tyler. (Tyler Hill was named after the Tyler families living in the area.) The farm was sold to Henry Wilsey in 1872 and remained in the Wilsey and Alfast families for almost a hundred years. It was sold to the Fred Frankel Association in 1970 and to the Farmstead Village, Inc. in 1977. Dick and Carol Barrett purchased the farm in 2000.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.