- Donate Today!
- Online Gift Shop
Honesdale - The Delaware and Hudson Canal Company, the first million dollar private enterprise in the United States, had as its headquarters an impressive brick building built in 1860 at the terminus of the canal and it's gravity railroad. It was located in the village that became Honesdale, named for Philip Hone, the mayor of New York City and first President of the D. & H. C. Co. In 1923, with the canal era over, the Wayne County Historical Society, which was organized in 1917, was granted a lease from the D. & H. Co. to use the north room for storage. A museum was developed and opened to the public in 1939. The United States Department of the Interior designated the building as a National Historic Landmark in 1968. After the museum and library took over the entire building, a rear addition was built in 1979. After many years of fund raising the south addition was completed in 1993 which houses the replica of the Stourbridge Lion, the first locomotive to operate on commercial tracks in the United States and the Delaware & Hudson Canal Co. exhibit. In 1981 the Historical Society moved the office of Jason Torrey, early settler and surveyor, to its present location just north of the canal office, saving it from demolition. Built in 1830. it is one of the oldest brick buildings in the county.IN 1997 the Torrey Building was connected to the D & H Canal Co.Office via a "glass hallway. The final addition to the D & H Canal Co. Office was completed in May 2008 with the opening of the two story John & Helen Villaume Wing which provided move exhibition, library, climate controlled storage, and collections' processing space.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.