Route 6. White Mills In 1855 Christian Dorflinger began building his glass factory in White Mills. The first cutting shop was built in 1857 with John S. O'Connor in charge of six glasscutters and engravers who worked with one frame. lie remained in charge until 1890 when he opened his own cut glass business. Eventually Mr. Dorflinger hired experienced glasscutters from Sweden. France, Ireland and England. In 1883 this 3-story native stone building became the second cutting shop for Dorflinger Glass Company. It is approximately 160 ft. long and 35 ft. wide. The first and second floors are at ground level because it is situated on a side hill, and both have brick arched ceilings. The first floor (or basement) was used as a storage room for the company's blanks. The second floor was used as the annealing room. The cutting and engraving rooms were located on the third floor. The cutting department had a 75-hp steam engine, which turned more than a hundred cutting wheels; the engraving department had a 6-hp steam engine. These engines were powered by two boilers in a wooden frame addition located in the rear of the building. The huller room had an iron chimney on a 55 ft.-high stone base. The factory had gas lighting, steam heat, and water pipes that ran throughout the building for fire protection. These water pipes originated at a feeder pond, located a short distance above the property. By 1903 there were 650 workers at the Dorflinger factory. Christian Dorflinger died in 1915. and the factory closed in 1921.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.