c1886 1411 N. Main Street, Honesdale John Bryant was contracted to build this home. John D. Weston (1856-1926) came to Honesdale when he was 17 years old and for five years was employed by W.W. Weston, wholesale grocery, then by the shoe company, Durland, Thomas & Co. The building is now occupied by Honesdale Lincoln-Mercury, Inc. In 1888 John Weston bought the interest of the co-founder, Robert Torrey, who had died a year earlier. He later became President and Treasurer of the company which then became Durland Weston Shoe Co. In 1879 he married Came Durland, his boss's daughter and moved into the house seven years later. Although they had no children of their own,they took in Bruce Macomber at an early age and were "delighted with his presence." Mr. Weston was involved in many organizations and for several years was President of the Honesdale Water Co., the Forest Lake Club, and was largely responsible for having the State Armory on Park Street in Honesdale and for the paving of Main Street. Note the second floor "sleeping porch", which was a common addition to many homes in the late 1800's due to the belief that sleeping in the night air would help cure tuberculosis (consumption). Architectural style: Victorian, Queen Anne.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.