501 Prospect Street. Hawley According to an article written in 1910 by Helen Cooke and reprinted in The News Eagle in December of 1979 this property is the second of three pillared colonial homes built in early Hawley. The imposing house has four large fluted pillars with a fine pediment on the two-story center with one-story wings on each side. Charles N. Stanton bought the land from the Pennsylvania Coal Company in 1857, and seven years later sold the house to Jacob Snyder. Early names on the deeds include Orren Hall, Levi Barker and wife Eliza, Marcus and Josephine Treadwell, William Krellwitz. Patrick Kearney, and Victor and Mary Decker. John and Janet Groth bought the property in 1969, and she sold to Eugene and Debra Shultz in 1998. The house is built on a laid stone foundation, has huge beams, and mortise and tenon construction. The front door has the original glass in the sidelights and transom. The chestnut floors are as beautiful today as they were when the house was built. The Shultzes have put in new electrical work and plumbing but the old horsehair plaster remains. The first floor includes a living room, dining room, kitchen, and another large room, and a bath. Upstairs are three bedrooms and a bath. There are both front and back porches. Large stone walls terrace the steep hill-side and may have once had stone stairs leading from the street up to the front porch. Lawns and woods surround the house. 501 Hdson Street is very special place with an elegant old house that has looked down on Hawley almost one hundred and fifty years.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.