Between 6th and 7th Streets, Main Street's West Side The foundation for Murray Co. began in 1829 when Captain Ed Murray became an entrepreneur on the newly constructed canal.
In 1833 he opened the first Murray Store, which was destroyed by fire. After his death in 1868, his son Philip Reilly continued to run the family farm in Cherry Ridge and the store. Philip Reilly Murray died in 1916. His three sons Robert, Philip, and Quinton, as well as Jacob Demer and Eben Keen, took over the business. The store had hardware and appliance departments. The maintenance departments covered heating, plumbing, and electrical. They expanded to the manufacturing of Maple City Silos which were sold in eight states. Cattle stalls were also sold under the Maple City name. A 1925 photo shows the company had thirty-two staff members. Edward, John, Fred, Philip, George, and Steve Murray, and Philip Keen were the last of the Murray family involved in the business. It was a Murray tradition to honor their customers with an annual party in their store. It was an event looked forward to by both the Murray family and their customers.
For 167 years Murray Co. was synonymous with the town of Honesdale. As agriculture in Wayne County began to wane, Murray Co. could no longer continue as it had in the past. In the early 1980s, Fred Murray took over the business and moved Murray Co. to Commercial Street. In 1987 he sold it to Robert Mermell. The final owners were Sandy Boguski and Kathy Little. In 1996 Murray Co. closed permanently. The northern Murray building is an 1870's Italianate brick structure with a paneled and bracketed cornice. The southern Murray building is a 1907 concrete-block structure with rock-face concrete-block quoining at the corners. This is the only four-story building in Honesdale and for years was known for its elevator.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.