Bethany Charles Hoel, Superintendent of Roads in Wayne County, purchased the land this house is located on in 1814 for $22.50. It is believed he built the main section of the house soon after acquiring the land. The kitchen addition is circa 1880. The house is located in Bethany Borough on the old Bethany Dingman's Choice Turnpike. Olive Greeley owned the property between 1859 and 1869. Her husband was part owner of Greeley and Faatz, manufacturers of window glass, located in Dyberry Township. In 1870 she sold the house to George Hauser, who sold it to William Barrable in 1912. Mrs. Hortense Miller purchased the Barrable property along with a number of nearby farms in 1922. It became part of the 500-acre Bethany Homestead Farms. Livingston Blauvelt, superintendent of the poultry operation, lived with his family in this house. Bethany Homestead Farms ceased operation in the 1960s. The house remained vacant for a number of years before Donna and Dennis Corrigan purchased it in 1996. They removed stucco to expose the original wooden clapboards. Windows were returned to the original nine over six on the first floor and six over six on the second floor. The front porch was restored, as well as porch support replacements. Restoration was completed on the old farmhouse in approximately three years. Historic Preservation Award given in 1999 to Donna & Dennis Corrigan for restoration of this property.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.