Ninth and Court Street John Patmor, owner of the Palmer Canal Basin, bought the corner lots from the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company in 1849 with the mortgages assumed by Coe Young. Patmor built a large dwelling house that is on the 1851 Nunan Map of Honesdale. In 1864 Coe Young sold the property to George Seely and a year later George sold to Henry Seely for $4,800, little more than half of what he had paid for it. In 1888 Henry and Kate Seely sold the property for $10,000 to Catholina and Isabel Lambert, partners in the Dexter Lambert Silk Company of Patterson, New Jersey. Their daughter Florence Dexter Lambert had married William Farrington Suydam in 1880 and she had died three years later of typhoid fever. In 1887 William Suydam married Mary Dorflinger daughter of Christian and Elizabeth Dorflinger and in 1895 he bought the house from the Lamberts. They raised their three children in the house. In 1912 Mary Dorflinger Suydam sold the property to Frank X. Soete and it remained in that family until 1969. Since that time the building has changed hands several times, always being used for professional offices. Louis J. Gruber and Frances S. Gruber. Mrs. Gruber then owned the property and moved her tax attorney offices into part of the building. ARCHITECTURAL STYLE: FOLK VICTORIAN
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.