Tenth and Court Street - In 1845 William and Mary Jane Wood purchased the corner lot from Jason Torrey and built a house facing Court Street. In 1865 the Trustees voted "to purchase the property of William Wood for $4,000 and the land between there and the church for $2,000." The house was used as a residence for the pastor for the next three decades. The Rev. W. H. Swift and his wife had five children and were overflowing the old parsonage. R. M. Stocker's History of the Presbyterian Society quotes the Clerk of Sessions in 1898: "During the past year the parsonage has been erected at a cost of $4819. and nearly all of this sum has been contributed by the congregation during the process of construction. The ladies have furnished carpets, curtains, and gas fixtures at an additional cost of $396. The material is of wood style of architecture, Continental. It has all the modern improvements and is a model of convenience and beauty. C. E. Decker of New York was architect and John D. Bryant of Honesdale, builder."
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.