Hawley - Standing between Bingham Park in Hawley and the banks of the Lackawaxen River is a handsome Greek Revival Building which is strangely ignored in the histories written of the town at the time of its centennial and sesquicentennial celebrations. Apparently in the perspective of the times it was not considered of historic value. One source dates the structure to 1824. On the map in Wakefield's Coalboats to Tidewater it is labeled the old office of the Pennsylvania Coal Company. It is also shown on Beer's 1872 map as the Paymaster's House. Other sources refer to it as the Telegraph Office and the Cash Office. In order to picture the building in these roles one must go back before Hawley had its Centennial Celebration in 1927 and established Bingham Park with its recreational facilities and Bandstand. Previously the area was a large basin and boatyard for the Delaware and Hudson Canal. The Pennsylvania Coal Company Gravity Railroad terminus was close by, so much commerce would have been conducted in this building. 1t has served as a private residence and. along with its adjacent carriage house, has been the location in recent years of antique and restaurant businesses. ARCHITECTURAL STYLE: GREEK REVIVAL
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.