Newfoundland Frederick A. Ehrhardt was born in Saxony, Germany, in 1935. He came to America at the age of eighteen. and being unable to find work at his trade as a nailmaker, he became a farmhand. In 1860, after saving $200, Frederick A. Ehrhardt purchased a stock of general merchandise and opened a store on Main Street in Newfoundland. In 1890 he built a new store, across the street from the original one. This store has remained in the Ehrhardt family until today. Ella C. Ehrhardt (Frederick's daughter) owned it for many years. In 1975, Ella cold the store to Col. William T. and Harriet Reynolds. A week later she died at the age of ninety-eight. Ella Ehrhardt was Harriet Reynolds' great aunt. Today Col. and Mrs. Reynolds and their children are the owners. Everything in the store is original except the floors, which had to be replaced after the 1955 flood. The original sign F. A. Ehrhardt Store est. 1860 is proudly displayed in the rear of the store. The store's ceiling is most unusual; it contains pieces of wood arranged to form geometric designs. Display cases have a wide array of merchandise, including penny candy. The building has the Greek Revival influence with its front-gabled form and second-floor pediment doors and windows. The two-tiered porch is supported by simple supports.
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.